5 Foods For Healthy Hair


My hair has been on my mind recently. Far more than I care to admit.

8 months ago I took the leap and cut off all the processed ends to reveal my curly, soft and natural texture.

Since then I've been doing everything in my power to maintain length and keep the overall health of my hair. I've had good days and bad, but I have to say this natural hair journey has really made me take stock in more than how long it is or the products I put in it.

I don't know about the men out there, but I know most women care A LOT about the quality, texture, and overall fabulousness of their hair. I might go as far as saying that I...I mean some of us, can be pretty vain about our tresses.

It's OK to admit, I won't tell.

A woman's hair can be her badge of beauty, or a sign that she is a hot-mess without a mirror or a best friend. For most of us keeping it from breaking, being dry, or unruly is our only concern.

On my journey towards living the most natural life I can muster, I've discovered that my hair was the one thing I had sorely overlooked. Being a crunchy Black girl I had to overcome some deep issues (mostly the fear of looking like some cotton-pickin' slave), but I'm on my way.

Summer 2012
Summer 2013
NE WAYSSSS...I've now been free of the creamy crack for months (praise Jesus!) and have learned what my hair doesn't like (dryness, too much manipulation, ugly hats) and traded them in for practices like deep conditioning egg treatments and drinking plenty of water.

I've removed all the harmful chemicals from my hair product arsenal---stripping it down to only the bare essentials, and  replacing the necessary stuff with all natural products like Jason's Biotin Shampoo & Conditioner.

But wait! It's not just about what you put ON your hair, it's also about what you put IN it.

Our hair is a living, breathing, part of our body that needs all the same vitamins and nutrients to thrive. So if you aren't eating right, then you aren't going to have the shiny, voluminous hair you deserve. 

So do yourself a favor and feed your hair from the inside out with these 5 hair strengthening foods.

Salmon


This fresh water friend packs a one-two punch of Omega-3 fatty acids and protein. Without essential fats your scalp becomes dry and your hair as dull as 10th grade Math ( do you really care what time the trains will get into the station?). Just be sure to get wild caught salmon to avoid the antibiotics and other nasty stuff that gets pumped into many farm raised fish.  If you fancy a vegetarian or vegan diet include one or two tablespoons of ground flax seed in your meals for some plant-based omega-3 fats.

Dark Green Vegetables


Turns out Popeye knew a thing or two (although it makes me wonder why he was bald if he was eating so much spinach). Dark green veggies like swiss chard, broccoli and kale are chocked full of Vitamins B & C. Both contribute to creating sebum, an oily substance secreted from your hair follicle that acts as a natural conditioner.

Beans

They're not just a musical fruit! Legumes like lentils and kidney beans are not only a great source of protein (which your hair is made from) but they also provide an ample amount of biotin, which can prevent our locks from feeling brittle. Just make sure you don't plan on any hot dates after ingesting these bad boys.

Nuts

I am a HUGE fan of almonds. We drink almond milk, roast them, put them in salads, or grab a handful as a snack. Turns out pecans, cashews, and almonds contain lots of zinc. If you have a zinc deficiency you might notice a large amount of shedding when you comb or brush your hair. So save your hair, and stuff you face with nuts!

Eggs


While I know this won't work for my vegetarian lovin crunchy friends, the rest of us could stand a few more eggs in our diet if we want to load up on hair strengthening protein, B-12, and biotin.

Got any food tips for growing strong healthy hair? Share your crunchy wisdom below!

 Washing, Rinsing, Repeating in Granolaville, 



4 comments:

Yogurt! I eat it every morning. It is a great source of calcium which helps promote hair growth. Not to mention, it is great for the digestive system. So to say, killing two birds with one stone! On another note, flaxseeds are high in estrogen which is not too good unless you are menopausal or happen to have low estrogen. So I would suggest trying other methods unless low estrogen is an issue. But I do have to say, I have never heard of Swiss Chard???

Great tips, I definitely have to start eating more of these items :)

Instead of shampoo most people use conditioner like Wen helps protect sheen, color fade and frizz.
People who are blonde spend time in the pool and chlorine turns into a light green and that' s no good I color my gray once a month.

Food is important resource of getting required nutrients, so we need to eat a rich diet which contains vegetables and fruits. Also people usually use different home made remedies that are helpful to maintain healthy hairs, but we need some additional products such as Shampoo or conditioners to maintain a healthy and silky hairs.

Post a Comment

Leave us some crunchy goodness...