Natural Mom Monday: Kourtney Kardashian- A New Baby & Natural Birthing Guru?




As you may, or may not be aware, sister #2 of the Kardashian trifecta gave birth yesterday morning to a healthy baby girl. Penelope Scotland Disick was born naturally-- weighing in at 7 pounds 14 ounces, to mommy Kourtney Kardashian and Scott Disick.

Though I'm not a fan of their mega hit show, nor do I get the hype surrounding who Kim is dating, I find it fascinating that a woman, like Kourtney, who's last name is synonymous with glitz, glam, and, let's face it, superficiality, has become this shiny, air-brushed, beacon of hope for the natural birthing community.

Is anyone as confused as I am?

OK, so on the outside Kourtney certainly does not embody my vision of über crunchy momma. I mean really who wears heels that high? But, when digging a little deeper, there may be more to her than a household last name and staged filmed family drama.

I, like you, would have envisioned the birth of her first child, Mason, to include all the spectacle of Kim's 5 minute wedding. However, it was shocking to me when I saw footage of the actual birth.

It took place in a calm, dimly-lit hospital room, surrounded by staff, her sisters, mama Kris, and Scott. The crazy part was---there was no screaming, no frantic nurses, or even much grunting. Kourtney pushed that baby out like a seasoned birther and caught him as he entered the world.

I don't know about you, but that shocked the shit out of me.

I couldn't believe someone so seemingly concerned about aesthetics (she put on a full face of make-up while in labor) could be so centered and in-tune with the way nature intended for babies to be born.
"...my experience last time was so peaceful and calm and everything you don't see in the movies. And I really wanted to share that with people so they knew it doesn't have to be a crazy screaming session."

YES! Thank you Kourtney for showing young women, all over the world, that birth doesn't have to be this scary, dangerous, or hell even painful experience. Don't get me wrong, birth is hard work. It requires mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual strength. If done naturally magnify that 10 fold. But here's a little secret----women were MADE for it!

All of the mental and physical qualities needed to complete this amazing, miraculous deed are in each and every one of us. We are stronger and more kick-ass than the media would have us believe. Obviously Kourtney didn't buy into the hype surrounding birth....and her family damn near created the word!

There seems to be a growing community, among female celebrities, who are abandoning medicated deliveries, and in some cases, even the hospital. Giselle Bundchen, Idina Menzel, Nicole Richie, Jessica Alba, and Halle Berry all gave birth to their babes with nothing more than a push and a prayer. Actresses Alyson Hannigan, Demi Moore, Alanis Morissette, and of course Ricki Lake delivered their babies in the comfort of their home.

Now, I'm not one to follow celebrity trends (who the hell thought Ugg's were EVER OK?), but showing women their power in birth is something I can definitely stand behind!

I applaud Miss K. for becoming such a public advocate of natural birth and breast feeding. In her blog she shared how much she enjoyed extended nursing, and only weened, her now 2 year old son Mason, once the time felt right, saying, "I seriously could cry just thinking about it being over."

Kourtney Kardashian and baby Mason
Hopefully, by Kourtney sharing her birth experiences with Mason, and now Penelope, she will help her millions of fans see the beauty and benefits of natural birthing. If not, at least we'll get some entertaining reality T.V.

Do you think celebrities have helped natural birthing and breast feeding become more "normal"?

Kommending Kourtney in Granolaville,








9 comments:

I don't know how I know this ...but Kourtney is the 1st born sister..Kim is 2nd and Khloe is 3rd:)

Yes, I believe that if a celebrity does anything it opens up the idea to more people than it being published in a health magazine. I think it is great that more people are considering natural births and breast feeding. Whether it is due to the increase in celebrity approval or the desire to do well for yourself and your children, I am glad that more people want to live a healthier life style.

Diane who knew you were such a Kardashian expert! I meant Kourtney was #2 because Kim is the most famous one, but thanks for the correct birth order, lol.

You are too funny. I think Khloe is #1 in coolness, so I guess that just shows me what's up!...Thanks Granolaville, you always keep me straight. Keep it up!

She had an epidural for both babies. They showed her getting one on camera with her second child Penelope.

Really, I had no idea since I don't watch the show that often. I still think she's a good example even with the epi, though I think she could have done with out it.

Not only Kim and Kourtney each gave birth to there infants, Jessica Simpson also gave birth to a baby boy. Also the Dutchess is due any day now.

This comment has been removed by the author.

I thought her birth was beautiful, but you can't call it a "natural granola birth" She had an epidural, an IV, and gave birth in a hospital bed. I actually work in a hospital and her birth looked pretty standard to me. I think there's a lot of negative hype about a "hospital birth" and what that involves. People imagine bright lights, chaos, people running around in white coats, and a very sterile, unnatural environment. Not the case, guys!

Post a Comment

Leave us some crunchy goodness...