The Truth About Co-Sleeping





When was the last time you got a full 8 hours of sleep?

If you’re drawing a blank, let me paint the scene.

You get into bed with your husband, or alone, close your eyes, and don't wake up until your alarm goes off.

No interruptions. No hungry babies, knobby toddler toes digging into you back, monsters in the closet, or sudden bouts of thirst requiring sippy cups.

I mean a real, good ole’ fashioned snooze-fest. The kind where you wake up in the morning, feeling revived and refreshed!

If you are pregnant with your first child, you’re probably already experiencing a lack of good quality sleep, due to your growing belly.

But if you’re already a mom, this vision of a peaceful night, is more like a mirage, than reality.

Co-sleeping can suck the life out of you!

Never fear! I'm here to make sure you go into this whole bed-sharing thang without delusions of grandeur.

More on that in a minute...

Parents choose to have their children sleep in the same room as them, or in our case, the same bed, for many reasons.

For most of us it's a matter convenience, especially if you're nursing your baby. Just roll on over, slap a boob in their mouth, and you're both back in dreamland within minutes.

Who wants to stumble in the middle of the night to change diapers or soothe a restless baby?

Not me, if I don’t have to!

Even if you don't breast feed, there is something primal or instinctual about keeping our children near us at night.

Every mammal does it. It’s the only way to ensure the survival of their offspring. In the wild you're toast if you're an infant left without the protection of your mother.

I've slept in the same room, if not the same bed as all of my boys until they were about 4 years old.

They always had a crib, but most of the time it was filled with stuffed animals NOT sleeping babies.

Get me the F**K out of here!
When we had our third son, I tried, once again to use the beautiful bassinet my grandmother had given me.

It was the perfect height and even had a drop down side to make it easy for me to watch him.

But, even though this was the third time around, I would constantly check to see if he was breathing. I just felt like he was always safest in my arms.

That bassinet was used, maybe twice, before Nolan moved into our bed.


The truth is there’s something magical about watching your children sleep (and husbands too)!

Be warned, it's damn near addicting. Especially when you know it won't last forever. 

We're now on the tail-end of our co-sleeping time.

After months of false starts and caving into my two-year-old's adorable demands, he is finally in a big boy bed.

Nolan now shares a room with his 7 year old brother, which has made the transition much easier.

While there were nights I wish I could've put him in his old crib, closed the door and ignored the cries for mommy, I'm glad we got that special time together.

I've always known the awesome benefits of co-sleeping, even for children past infancy:

  • the whole family sleeps better, with less night-time disturbances when your baby doesn't have to wake up fully to get your attention
  • there is a decreased risk of SIDS compared to those solo-sleeping
  • your baby gets more bonding time with both parents
  • it helps to regulate your infant's sleep cycle to be the same as yours
  • breast feeding is SO much easier

However, looking back, there are a few things I wish someone had told me...

Like how you will manage to make due sleeping on the very precipice of your bed, just taunting the floor with the possibility of your face hitting it.

Or how you forget what it's like to actually sleep next to your husband who is now being co*k-blocked by a sweet smelling child.

There ain't NO WAY my husband is getting near me!
I wish someone had told me how deep my son's knees could actually dig into my back before prompting me to turn over and face him.

Or how a 30 (ish) pound baby likes to pretend he's making snow angels in the sheets. (See an awesome depiction of that move below)


I wasn't prepared for projectile vomit being hurled in my direction during a nasty bout of the stomach flu.

Or that if ones in your bed, the other wants in too !


Nor was I ready to be molested night after night by a kid who was told we are done nursing until the sun comes up.

really wish someone had explained that it's nearly impossible to get comfortable when your kid kicks the blanket so far off your bed you're only left with the right upper corner to snuggle with.

Mostly, I wish someone had told me that I would secretly love that time, somewhere between 2 and 5 am, when my little one climbs out of his race car bed, staggers down the hall, crawls into my bed and cuddles up next to me.


I really do hope that never ends.

Got any tips for mamas considering co-sleeping? Share them below!








If you're looking for attachment parenting tips or practical ways to balance your needs with your family's, let me know!
To learn more about my holistic lifestyle coaching practice, take a peek at Soul Fueled Living!
And for doula services & birth education for mamas-to-be, check out Soul Fueled Mama


If you liked this post, sign up for our newsletter.

You'll also get the Top 5 Toxic Foods in Your Kitchen Mini E-Book, FREE!

* indicates required

3 comments:

OMG my 3 year old staggers out of his race car bed too at 3 in the morning. Thanks for that validation. :) Liz

I would never (and have never) have (had) my kids in the same bed as me, thats my bed.
My kids dont go away just cause they sleep in their own bed. We have a different bond to what other parents have who have been "latched" on to their kids to the hip.
http://mumsndads.highbb.com/

Jessica, so glad you and family do what works for you. That's exactly what parents with "latched" on kids are doing.

Post a Comment

Leave us some crunchy goodness...