Thoughtful Thursday: When You need Family the Most.


Husbands, wives, mothers, fathers, sister, brothers, loud aunts, and crazy uncles. Family. WE don't get to choose them, but I think in some ways they choose us.

Our Family at Christmas

Our life is filled with people who have been placed there for a reason. To teach us something we need to learn, help us grow as people..and yes sometimes to annoy the shit out of us. But sometimes we forget how truly lucky we are to have them.

Hardship or unfortunately, even a tragedy, can remind us of how important family really is. Over the last 48 hours the Universe has shown me a laundry list of reasons of why I'm happy to be a part of mine.

My husband is a lot like most men when it comes to his health---if it's not dangling, broken, or gushing blood --there's no way in hell he's going to the doctor. He'll wait until the very last minute when he writhing on the floor in pain to finally admit, he needs help.

"I say the universe speaks to us, always, first in whispers. And a whisper in your life usually feels like 'hmm, that's odd.' Or, 'hmm, that doesn't make any sense.' Or, 'hmm, is that right?' It's that subtle. And if you don't pay attention to the whisper, it gets louder and louder and louder. I say it's like getting thumped upside the head. If you don't pay attention to that, it's like getting a brick upside your head. You don't pay attention to that—the brick wall falls down. That is the pattern that I see in my life and so many other people's lives. And so, I ask people, 'What are the whispers? What's whispering to you now?'" ~ Oprah
Two nights ago a GIANT brick, in the shape of a gangrenous gallbladder, smacked my poor husband right upside the head. He was having an episode of pain that came about every 6 months. This time it was different. This time he knew he couldn't just ignore it and let it subside.

8 pm Tuesday night off to the ER we went, while my mother-in-law took care of our 3 boys. Within a few hours the pain was excruciating and we were told my husband was going to be admitted and prepped for surgery the next day.

I was shocked his condition was that serious, but glad they had a definite cause and that he was in capable hands. So yesterday, my mother took the day off from work to watch the kids so I could be there before and after my hubby's surgery.



My mother-in-law, father-in-law, and sis-in-law all stayed with me the whole day. They went on coffee runs, kept me busy with funny stories, and patiently waited while we awaited his return.

I was so grateful to have them there to keep me distracted. Without them I might have broken down or at least harassed the nurses until I was banned from the hospital.


It was scary not knowing if my husband would be OK. The hardest part was kissing him goodbye as he was wheeled into surgery. I love him more than I was even aware of. He fills my heart and soul.

For a moment the thought of not having in my life to comfort me when I'm sad, wrestle around with our boys, and even leave the cabinet door open EVERY TIME he takes a glass out, raced through my mind.

I would've lingered on those feelings if my family wasn't there to keep me focused on what was more important--the fact that his condition was found before it got really serious and we were able to fix it.

Many people aren't that lucky. Some people have to face sickness, or even death alone.

I'm so grateful for my husband's health and for the support of the people who love me---my family.

When are you MOST thankful for your family?

Filled with Appreciation in Granolaville,


1 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some crunchy goodness...