Wellness Wednesday: Put Down the Exercise Excuses. Your Ass Will Thank You.

Last night I ran. I know. Big deal right? Well I should have said, I ran farther than I have EVER run, in at least 10 years...without stopping.

Am I proud? Hellz yea I'm proud.

I don't have a trainer like buff celebrity Jessica Biel (and I don't have Justin Timberlake either, but that's a rant for another day). I don't have extra funds to splurge on fitness classes, although when I do, I hit up this place. As I've said before, I don't even have much enthusiasm for working out.

And running...well let's just say it's my LEAST favorite way to exercise.


You see I have a LONG list of reasons why I USED to say running just isn't for me. Would you like to hear them? I thought you'd never ask ....
  1. I hate the way my thighs slap together. As if a tiny elf, with LARGE hands, was sitting on my leg, cheering me on.
  2. My butt is so big and jiggles as if in slooooowww mooootion. 
  3. I have asthma. No really I do. And it only really flares up to the point where my lungs feel like they are under water AFTER running.
  4. I have a bum ankle. I fractured my growth plate in the 7th grade so now if I step out of bed the wrong way it rolls over like an obedient dog.
  5. It's boring. I mean really, who wants to do the SAME motion, over and over again for an hour....1/2 hr....okay okay 15 minutes, but its STILL freakin boring.
  6. I look funny doing it. (see above picture) I always feel like my form is wrong and I somehow look like a bird getting a running start before taking off.
  7. I trip easily when distracted. For reallz! On my first date, with my husband, I tripped over my own feet and awkwardly bumped into the restaurant door, dropping my doggy bag on the ground. That sweet man still married me.
  8. I can't sing and run at the same time. I HAVE to have music with a sick beat if I want to get a good jog going. BUT as soon as I try to sing along I lose my breath and need to slow down. (refer to reason  #3)
  9. I don't have time. 3 kids, a husband, a loyal group of readers who expect me to post EVERYDAY (I love you all by the way) laundry, cooking, cleaning, wiping up spills, poop, melted ice pops, and leaky juice cups. This crunchy mama is F-IN TIRED. The last thing I want to do before the sun rises or sets is throw on some shorts and bounce up in down. 
  10. Those GODDAMN SHORTS! Is it just me, or do they ride higher on one thigh (probably the fatter one) with each step so that you are constantly picking out a wedgie or a camel toe?
As you can see I have extremely valid reasons why running ANYWHERE should be out of the question.

Here's the thing...I have 3 kids, a husband, a loyal group of readers who expect me to post EVERYDAY (again, I love you all) laundry, cooking, cleaning, wiping up spills, poop, melted ice pops, and leaky juice cups. Mama NEEDS a break!

So for the last week or two, whenever the requests like "Mom can I have (fill in the most inconvenient or sugary thing)" have reached my quota for the day, or I've called each of my boys the wrong name 10 times in a row....I run.

I don't run far or fast, but I do it. I lace up my sneakers, pull on those stupid shorts, grab my phone for music, and go.

Here's the funny thing---on last night's run I was able to go farther than I've ever gone. I began with the usual slow jog from my driveway, down my country road. Pumping One Direction's "One Thing" ( my apologies, I have a thing for British boybands), I began my usual pace, anticipating that I would be hacking up a lung before their sweet young voices had finished the song.

The view during my jog
Then something strange happened. The song ended, but I KEPT RUNNING. I couldn't believe it. The next song came on and I was still hustling.

Next came a distraction (refer to #7). I saw my college-aged neighbor and sometimes babysitter taking her daily walk, right towards me. Do I stop and say hi? NO I can't, I'll lose my flow. Thankfully the sweet girl took off her headphones and said, "Oh hey.....No no, don't stop your run."

Sweetness. It's like she read my mind. I chugged along until I had gone about a 1/2 a mile, at which point my body finally realized what the hell it was doing and demanded I walk.

So, I turned around and power walked my proud, and hopefully smaller ass, back toward my house.

I came across these friends on my way back

Half way there I busted out another short sprint and made it back to my door super sweaty and glowing with pride.

I don't hate running so much anymore. I realized it's like a lot of things in life --- it's the small steps that lead to greatness. You can't have a healthy, well toned, strong body in one quick and easy step. It takes time, dedication, and yes, lots of SWEAT, to accomplish anything really important. But you know what, we're worth EVERY minute.

If you do one thing, just one thing each day that takes you out of your comfort zone and moves you towards a happy and healthier life, you'll be grateful you let go of whatever was holding you back from being your best, kick-ass self.

So while I may not have any marathons in my future, I'm glad I got rid of the excuses and pushed through.

Now if I could only put down these damn potato chips....baby steps.

What is the most common excuse you tell yourself when you "can't" do something?

"I was run-ning" (with my best Forrest Gump voice) in Granolaville,

 




3 comments:

My most common excuse is "I'll do it tomorrow." Yet I too have started to incorporate running into my normal workouts each week. I usually do yoga and pilates on a fairly regular basis. Like you, I cannot run far and frankly I feel it is boring too. But I have decided that adding cardio is extremely important and have decided that on the days I don't have time for an hour of yoga or pilates that I will run 1 mile, and I have been sticking to it. It's been almost a month and I notice that every time I run I can last a little bit longer. Eventually I will make it up to a mile and a half before I fade out and one day it will be two. But the big thing is getting out there and doing it. I am proud of you! And believe me...with the running you will soon feel less jiggle in the butt!

It is better for you anyway to run, then power walk, then run again. That is the correct way to train, such as for a marathon.

Oh "I'll do it tomorrow" is one of my favorites too. It's amazing how a little procrastination goes a LONG way. Thanks for the words of encouragement, keep up you good work too!

Post a Comment

Leave us some crunchy goodness...